Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Portland, I Can Almost Touch You

It's so close now I can almost taste it and yet like a doorknob that one tries to turn after applying a generous amount of lotion, remains just out of reach. I am of course talking about my inevitable departure from Utah and arrival in the Pacific Northwest. There are of course things I would miss. Friends and family being first and foremost. The desert, the mountains, cheaper living, great camping, my band, but the list is short compared to the things I wouldn't miss. Those being, the mormon church, unsustainable growth, right-wing extremism, gun nuts…. The list is almost too long. 

To be sure, it will be an adventure unlike any other to have come before. The most difficult part being leaving my wife behind for a few months. I'll more then likely have to go up so I can start my new job and begin the process of looking for housing and learning my way around the city while she remains in SLC to wrap up our old lives. 

One may ask, "Where in the Northwest?" As it turns out, it would be where I keep coming back to on my list of places I would like to live. Portland, Oregon. The nice thing about Portland (or as I like to call it Seattle-lite) is it has everything I could ever want in a place I call home. A nice, rainy climate, more bands that one could shake a stick at, a more liberal mindset, more beers than one could try in a lifetime, great seafood and it's own TV show. Portlandia which I can only assume portrays a very realistic look of what life in Portland is really like. Heh heh!

Is it really so much to ask to attain one's dream job in one of the greatest cities ever? I've been waiting for so long for my ship to come in and it must be the slowest fucking boat China's ever built, because it sure is taking it's sweet-ass time in getting here. I feel I can't really complain too much though. Last year I had the joyous opportunity of marrying my amazing and beautiful wife, Cece. Our honeymoon was the most incredible journey one could have. A trip down the Oregon coast which just made me fall in love with the state even more. 

For most of my adult life, I've settled for being comfortable where I am and not engaging in anything too risky. I feel the time has come to change all that. The best rewards are the ones that come from being willing to take a few risks. I need to be somewhere with like-minded people where I can connect with a vibrant arts and music community. The possibility of legalized weed come November doesn't hurt either. ;)

Portland, you have been in my thoughts and dreams for so long now. I think you and I would be really good for each other. Like a glove that's been waiting for the right hand to fill it. 

Unitl 4:20 then

No comments:

Post a Comment