Monday, September 27, 2010

Halo: Reach

Ok so, I've never really reviewed a video game before, but it certainly can't be any worse than the guy that reviews for the Trib. A few more specifics won't kill you, Vince.

Anyhoo, Halo: is the latest addition to the Halo universe. It is also the last Halo game involving parent developer, Bungie. Software giant, Microsoft, has acquired the IP and set up their own in-house development team for all future Halo titles. None of which I'm particularly excited to play. 

Halo: Reach, while being the last of the Bungie Halo games, is actually a prequel to Xbox's killer app for 2001, Halo: Combat Evolved and takes place on the planet, Reach. The player is dropped into the character of Noble Six. One member of an elite group of spartans fighting to prevent the planet from falling into the hands of the Covenant. A group of alien zealots that want to attain the next level of existence and will stop at nothing in making sure every life form in the galaxy goes along for the ride. 

For the most part, Bungie pulled out all the stops for this their final entry in the Halo universe. From outstanding level design to extremely well paced run and gun action. There were a few instances when I had a hard time figuring out which direction I needed to be heading in and a couple of times the frame-rate dipped. Not to the point of being unbearable but somewhat of an annoyance. For the most part, these instances are few and far between. 

Multiplayer has also received the benefit of some major tweaking. All your favorite game modes are there as well as a few new modes added to Rumble Pit and Team Slayer to spice-up the already kick-ass frag fest that keeps gamers around the world returning again and again. Add to the recipe a new and improved Forge mode, for designing your own maps, and Firefight in which you and up to three other players can battle it out against wave after wave of the Covenant horde. 

I'm already finished with my second playthrough. I don't spend as much time in multiplayer as I don't like getting my ass handed to me by 12 year olds. When I first played Halo: Combat Evolved earlier this last decade, I was blown away by impressive graphics, unprecedented gameplay and a story that would keep us coming back for the midnight releases, hosting gaming parties and nursing numb thumbs for years to come. I can honestly say that Halo: Reach is definitely my favorite since the original. 

See you @ 4:20, Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment